About The Town of East Greenwich
Geographically the 16 square miles of East Greenwich is located in the center of the state. It is the eighth oldest town in the state and was home to many early American Patriots. The town was established in the 1600′s. The land upon which East Greenwich sits was originally owned by the Pequot Indians and was acquired by King Charles II in 1644. The General Assembly incorporated the Town in 1677.
The Town is bounded on the East by Narragansett Bay and four hills roll up from the coast to the West Greenwich town line. The downtown area of East Greenwich was initially settled to support the surrounding farming area. As the town grew, so did the commercial center. The protected cove brought trade ships from the far corners of the world and gave safe harbor to local fishermen.
As East Greenwich grew as a trade center so did the need for goods and services, both for the townsfolk and those passing through. Industry flourished with the manufacture of textiles, brushes, machinery and shipbuilding. This has left behind a legacy of fine historic buildings for people of the 20th century to enjoy. The town of East Greenwich is proud of its’ heritage and its’ National Historic District.
(reprinted with permission from the East Greenwich Chamber of Commerce)
Incorporated in 1677 East Greenwich, or Green Town, was named after Greenwich County of Kent, England. Located on the western shore of Narragansett Bay, East Greenwich is bounded on the southwest by Exeter, the west by West Greenwich, the south by North Kingstown, the southeast by Potowomut and on the north by Warwick, West Warwick, and Coventry.
The town’s coat of arms bears an hourglass, for the observatory at Greenwich, England, and two anchors, which “show that East Greenwich has a harbor and is in the state of Rhode Island, at whose earliest seal in 1664 bears an anchor.
Many of our MSA events require help with planning, execution, clean-up, etc. Becoming a volunteer means that you can help when you have the time, but can’t necessarily make a “full time” commitment to the MSA.