MSA Clean-up of Briggs Boesch Farm
South Road, East Greenwich
On Saturday, April 12th, the members of the Main Street Association gathered together for the Spring Clean-up of Briggs Boesch Farm. The MSA partakes in this clean-up twice a year (Spring and Fall) as part of their commitment to “enhance living in the town of East Greenwich, including the improvement of Main Street and its surrounding areas”.
Originally purchased by John Briggs in 1672, with structures built as early as 1704 by his son Richard, the Briggs family owned and farmed in this area of East Greenwich (extending, at times, as far west as Narrow Lane) for some 180 years; the current farmhouse and the main bay of the barn are a classic example of a New England farmstead from this period. Since leaving the Briggs’ family control in 1850, the Farm has had 7 owners; most recently, the Boesch family who owned the current farm holding for almost 50 years.
With the support and assistance of the East Greenwich Town Council, our Town Manager, and the East Greenwich Planning Department, the East Greenwich Municipal Land Trust purchased the 90 acre farm in October 2001. Currently, the Briggs-Boesch Farm serves as the southern anchor of the Town’s greenway system, providing publicly accessible trails throughout the property’s fields and forests. The Farm is also home to Pat’s Pastured, a pasture-raised livestock farm operation across much of the property that promotes sustainable farming and vegetable cultivation. This tenant farmer additionally offers periodic educational workshops and events related to agricultural activities; for more information, please visit patspastured.com.
Besides the farm fields and varied woodland, the property contains several historic structures and an historic cemetery. In June 2003 the farmstead was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
In association with the Land Trust, the Main Street Association Members volunteer their time to keep these areas clean. For Briggs Boesch Farm, this included walking the trails and clearing away any debris, fallen trees and repainting the landmark numbers to provide clear directions on the path.
Briggs Boesch Farm is open to the public, and we welcome our fellow East Greenwich residents to visit. It is a nice place to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of nature. Please remember to respect the trails and stay on them, and don’t touch the animals! On the way out, be sure to stop inside the farm stand and pick up some fresh local eggs and meat!